Tuesday, January 27, 2009

blood clots

In June 2005, I found out I was pregnant, I was so excited to finally be pregnant again. Taylor at this point was now 5 years old. I would of loved my kids to be closer in age but that was up to God. I was really tired and really sick the first month. In fact the first month I was so tired and sick that I asked the dr for some medicine for Morning sickness. He prescribed a drug called Phenergran (SP). This drug literally made me sleep 15 hours at a time. I was so out of it, I just passed out anywhere on the bed, even with my legs hanging off the bed. At 6 weeks pregnant I took the girls that I was nannying for to a bounce house. I had worked for the family for 6 years and it was finally time for me to get a job on my side of town so Taylor could go to kindergarden. We were just getting to the bounce house when I felt a gush of blood come down. I had never experienced that with Taylor and immediatley thought I was having a miscarriage. The girls I was with were 9, 7 and 5 at the time. I asked Shannon the oldest to go get the owner of the bounce house and she called 911. I was very scared. My mom came and took the girls home for me and Jason came and went with me to the hospital. They did a ultrasound and had found out that I had a torn placenta and that was the reason for the massive Bleeding. They told me go go home and rest for the next week and then it should be ok...... At 9 weeks pregnant I started to have some pain in my leg. It was so bad that I went to the Er for it. I am not one for Doctors but I knew this needed medical attention. I went and they did a doppler of it and said if it's a clot you are going to need shots the rest of your pregnancy. They didnt find anything that day. They said I had a infection in my leg and to go home and put it up and take this medicine and it was not better in 5 days to come back in. 5 Days later, I remember being in so much pain I couldnt even walk. I had just started my job at the school district and told them I had to take off to go to the dr. After I had another ultrasound they confirmed I had a blood clot all up and down my left leg. I still remember the pain to this day. If I was sitting with my leg out I couldnt feel it, but if it my leg was bent down, I was in pain and i couldnt walk. I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks, and was put on shots for the rest of the pregnnacy two times a day. I was now considered a high risk pregnancy. Wonderful thing about the rest in the hospital is that they didnt find a tear in my placenta and had told me that it must of repaired itself from the rest. The main reason I decided to write about this was because I was reading a article in the newspaper today that say people who sit by the window seat in the airplane tend to get more blood clots in their legs. It's called Deep vein Thrombosis. Blood clots are very deadly slient Killers, My doctor told me that lots of people have blood clots and do not even realize they have them. I knew nothing about them until I got one myself. If you have leg pain you need to get it checked out. Some symptoms of blood clots are leg that is warm to the touch, pain and swelling. If you are having problems breathing it could be in your lung, I am not a doctor but I didnt realize the seriousness of clots until I got one myself. I am on comudain for life beacuse I was told I have Factor 5 Liden, which basically makes me at risk for getting clots, Its a heredity disorder. Your doctor can check you to see if you have it by just a simple blood test. It can save your life. I am lucky I had the symptoms that went it even though it was very painful. Thank God I am here today to tell about it.

No comments: